Candles are lovely but...

I'll admit I'm a fan of candles at wedding ceremonies. Not lots all round the room necessarily, but a few to add a bit of atmosphere, especially when the venue is one of our lovely castles, or has a dramatic presence to it.

What is quite popular is to line the aisle with floor candles, a bit like this:



It can really add to the overall look of the room you are having your ceremony in, but here I feel I need to add a word of warning, after a wedding I conducted recently.

The couple were both very relaxed, informal people, who had a great sense of humour and I had been enjoying a bit of banter with the groom prior to the wedding. It was then that someone commented "is that something burning?" and we looked down to see the father of the groom's kilt had fallen into the glass jar on the floor and the candle inside had burnt a hole right through, about the size of an apple.

Thankfully it was low down, and round the back, but needless to say, he saw the 'hire fee' penalty flash up before his eyes and dreaded what it would cost him.

However, when I went out to say hello to the bride after she arrived, and to just warn her in advance what the burning smell was, she and her bridesmaids just started laughing - it was just the medicine she needed to get rid of those nerves. And when she walked up the aisle, and smiled at her soon to be husband, he started laughing too, and so did many of the guests. It's not a tactic I'd recommend but it fairly set a joyful mood for their wedding ceremony, and I'm sure gave some good last minute material for the speeches!